Saturday's main program was presented in the hotel's Paddle Room with ten featured steel guitarists. Students from the Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School ‘Ukulele Band and Chorus under the direction of Elias Gonzales joined Joey Misailidis' performance, and students from the Kapa‘a Middle School Choir and ‘Ukulele Band under the direction of Mary Lardizabal joined Mālie Lyman's performance. Other guest performers were Michael Keale and Pomaika‘i Lyman.
Drag mouse over thumbnails and click to select picture or use controls for slideshow.
- HIMELE director Larry Holu filled in as emcee during portions of the program.
- Featured steel guitarist Geronimo ''Geri'' Vaidriz with Bobby Ingano, Adam Asing, and Kaipo Asing as backup musicians. Geri is a HIMELE director and oversees the steel guitar exhibits.
- Geri Valdriz.
- Featured steel guitarist Ed Punua featured family members in his set. Here, son Kala'e performs in the steel guitar with Adam Asing and Ed Punua on guitar.
- Adam Asing, Kala'e Punua, and Ed Punua.
- Featured steel guitarist Ed Punua with Bobby Ingano, Adam Asing, and Kaipo Asing as backup musicians.
- Some of the audience enjoying Ed's performance.
- Ed Punua's dad Victor Punua joined in the performance.
- Herenui Punua offered a hula.
- Herenui Punua.
- Festival guests included Michael Keale, Linda Lester Keale, and Beverly Muraoka.
- The Kapa'a Middle School Choir and Ukulele band performed with featured steel guitarist Mālie Lyman. Tai Misailidis assisted on U-bass.
- Featured steel guitarist Mālie Lyman and Tai Misailidis.
- The KMS Choir and Ukulele Band with Mālie and Tai.
- Festival guests enjoying the performance.
- Members of the Choir and Ukulele Band also danced the hula.
- The KMS Choir and Ukulele Band. Director Mary Lardizabal (in the aisle facing the stage) leads the ensemble.
- The group's Hana Hou, led by Pomaikaʻi Lyman, was a novelty routine developed by the group in the Green Room earlier that afternoon. Also participating were Kapono Lopes, Heuʻi Bandmann, and NextGen steel guitarists Ethan Goore, Joey Misailidis, and Pono Fernandez.
- The Hana Hou presentation.
- Featured steel guitarist Alan Akaka showcased NextGen steel guitarist Ethan Goore. This was Ethan's festival debut after only four months of lessons. Adam and Kaipo Asing backed up the steel guitarists.
- Alan Akaka, Ethan Goore, and Kaipo Asing.
- NextGen steel guitarist Pono Fernandez also joined in with Adam, Alan, Kaipo, and Ethan.
- Featured steel guitarist Alan Akaka and The Islanders.
- Featured steel guitarist Bobby Ingano with the Bobby Ingano Trio.
- Bobby asked Pomaikaʻi Lyman to join in his set. Adam Asing is on bass.
- Michael Keale also joined in. From left: Pomaikaʻi Lyman, Adam Asing, Bobby Ingano, Kaipo Asing, and Michael Keale.
- Guest vocalist Michael Keale.
- Featured steel guitarist Greg Sardinha with Adam and Kaipo Asing. Guitarist Kekai Chock also joined in.
- Lady Ipo dances a hula as the group sings.
Back to Gallery: 2019 Festival
Photography by Don Touchi ©2019 by Don Touchi and HIMELE.